02 November 2005

But Mousie...

The best laid schemes indeed... After leaving almost twenty-four hours later than planned, we thought passing up Shenandoah was going to be the worst of it. As it turns out, we arrived at the national show site only to find no "camp site" waiting for us. So, after a little searching--and help from a friend (thanks, Donna)--I write from our room at the Super 8 in Concord, NC. Could be worse, I suppose, but not at all what we planned. I'm hoping we're through with the challenges and that the actual competition will bring squeals of glee.

Not that this situation is so awful, but it does prompt me to comment on "camping." At the show, camping is really rv parking--and I think that's what people expected, if not wanted. Me, I'm new to all this, and the sight of rvs tightly packed against one another does not come close to my image of camping. It does, however, smack of the kind of regulation we see nature subjected to these days.

I'm specifically talking about the way nature is packaged and presented to us as consumers, a reality that first struck me (ironically) at Acadia. Why are we coerced into receiving and appreciating nature in one, particular way? We all follow the same worn paths--if not paved roads--and all stop to admire the same "lookouts." I don't mind paying (entrance fees, taxes, whatever) to protect our natural lands, but does our money have to pay for the regimentation with which we're allowed to enjoy these lands? I'm happy to support preservation efforts, but our national parks seem to be going the way of canned, easy entertainment. There's no longer an experience to be had, just an idea of what the experience should be.

So, no pictures today. No parks, no nature, just hotel. (And Trader Joe's sushi for dinner. Yum, now that's camping.)

No comments: